Wednesday 15 August 2012

THE MOULDING FACTORY





"The Moulding Factory"


What exactly made me come up of this concept of "The Moulding Factory" is based on my personal experience where most of the time the people I interact with have this "me" that they picture in their head. And it came to a point where people expect you to act exactly as the person they have created in their minds. So what if you don't act accordingly? Well. They judge, and so you get to sit at a corner dumb-founded. For me, not having to live up to people's expectations really does hit me and have at certain points in my life. So I thought, what better way to try telling  "I feel like a puppet" without having to actually tell it? This identità assignment.

I have done some research on one of my favourite artist (in painting), Frida Kahlo. Its her artworks that gave me much more inspiration and the idea of "surrealism". There was a particular painting that I chanced upon and was greatly inspired : The Dream (1940). It made me think twice to the idea I first had and decided to go another level and make it much much more personal, to me. Here I quote,

"Since my subjects have always been my sensations, my states of mind and the profound reactions that life has been producing in me, i have frequently objectified all this in figures of myself which were the most sincere and real thing that I could do in order to express what I felt inside and outside of myself." -Frida Kahlo.

I have incorporated some magazine cut-outs and that shows that I'm actually made up by a little bit of everyone. There were other tools like the female figurine, the pizza cutter, the blender, etc. and all of it plays a role. The female figurine is the "me" the people around me are building, and the photograph of my face-then-pasted on the clay actually is about how my expressions doesn't always go on par with my feelings. If you notice the "recipe" on the cork board I guess everything would have made more sense.

Image is photographed using a Canon 450D camera and went through photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment